Objective: Due to the large number of people that could not attend the first workshop in April 2014, this workshop is a repeat of that event. There is a growing need for agency personnel, material suppliers, consultants, and others in the pavements and materials technical community to have a basic understanding of asphalt materials and modification. This workshop will cover basic topics including types of asphalt, asphalt manufacturing, asphalt emulsions, and testing. Specific topics of interest will include modifying asphalt with polymers, chemical modification, and asphalt rubber systems. A session will be devoted to emerging products and technologies. Finally, there will be a discussion of the evolution of Arizona specifications involving modified asphalt technology.
- Chris Lubbers, Kraton Performance Polymers, Inc.
- Larry Larson, ICL Performance Products LLC
- Shane Underwood, Arizona State University
- Jeff Benedict, Valero Energy Corporation
- Gaylon Baumgardner, Ergon Asphalt
- Mike Anderson, Asphalt Institute
- Julie Kliewer, Arizona Department of Transportation
When: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. Lunch and breaks will be provided.
Where: ADOT–HRDC Building, 1130 N 22nd Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85009, 602-712-4050.
Fee: $90 includes all workshop materials, professional development hours (PDH), lunch and breaks.
Who Should Attend:
The target audience for this course is state and local highway personnel, materials suppliers, consultants and any technical professionals dealing with asphalt pavement materials and construction.
- Introduction to asphalt materials, manufacture, and modification
- Testing asphalt with emphasis on modified asphalt characterization
- Polymer modification
- Chemical modification
- Crumb rubber asphalt systems
- Emerging products and technologies
- Discussion of Arizona Specifications for modified asphalt binders
Pre-registration is required. The registration fee is $90and will include workshop materials, professional development hours, lunch and breaks. The deadline to register is November 7, 2014. Registration fees are non-refundable. Please complete the form below and return it along with your check or money order made payable to Arizona State University. If referencing a purchase order, a copy must be mailed or faxed with registration form. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept credit cards or cash.
Arizona Local Technical Assistance Program
1130 N 22nd Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Technical Training Administrator
Please note that the checks are payable to ASU and to be mailed to LTAP.
ASU Federal Tax ID # 86-0196696
Be sure to mark your calendar, as you will not receive a reminder.
For more information, please see:
Complete the attached form: